Tuesday, April 20, 2010

pacific northwest reader spotlight #7


Since I'm still feeling all nostalgic for family following my night of home movies, I think my next Pacific Northwest Reader spotlight should be Judi Lohrey and her lovely musings about her grandfather. Here is an excerpt from her essay, "The Spirit of Idaho."

"Growing up in the same town with loving grandparents is a priceless experience that influenced the rest of my life. My dad's father was night watchman at the lumber mill 'above town.' He rode his horse to and from work. On Saturdays he stopped at our home and my brother and I rode on the back of his horse, Ole Darby, while grandpa walked alongside. We spent many Saturdays with Grandpa and Grandma Lohrey helping grind horseradish, clean cabbage for coleslaw, feed the chickens and gather eggs. We finished the day by watching Starlit Stairway, a talent program that originated in Spokane, Washington, and we walked home singing the sponsor's famous slogan, 'If you need coal or oil, call Boyle.' Grandpa died when I was 12 but I remember fondly that golden time of feeling so loved."

Judi Lohrey is the owner of ...and BOOKS, too!, 1037 21st Street, Lewiston, Idaho. In her spare time she loves to read mysteries, novels and local history books and volunteer for several organizations in the Lewis-Clark Valley. Judi grew up in Clearwater, Idaho, and has lived her life in Central Idaho and Southeast Washington. She had a 27-year career as a staff member at Washington State University. Following her retirement she was a volunteer in Lewiston, Idaho, and Clarkston, Washington...that is until her favorite book store was about to close for lack of a buyer. Now, she is semi-retired and enjoying life as a bookstore owner. She and her husband, Gary, live in Clarkston, Washington. They have a son, Bill, who lives in Spokane, Washington, and a son, Tim, who lives near Bend, Oregon.

*

Reading Judi's bio, I was excited to learn about how she jumped in to save the life of an independent bookstore. A noble act, a labor of love. Here's to Judi for taking up the gauntlet, and to the owners of independent bookstores all over. Huzzah!


...here's Judi at the helm of her bookstore, ...and BOOKS, too! I love how the title has all sorts of punctuation in it...

No comments:

Post a Comment