Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Guest post: Nancy Townsley


For my birthday this year, my writer friend Nancy Townsley composed me a moment piece like the ones I write for my blog. I was so honored, I asked if I could share it here. 

With big thanks to a great writer and lovely woman.

*

Up and over the bridge, green-gray spires reaching for the sky, that funny color I remember from the waste cans in elementary school.

Right on Syracuse, right on Burlington, left on Willamette, right on Greeley. Then I’m home free until I get to the freeway.

I’m driving through St. Johns on my way to writing group, on a day that will be hot, 95 degrees. Sweet quaint St. Johns, situated on a bluff above Portland’s industrial district. An academic community. Home to the University of Portland.

And I spy with my little eye so many interesting things.

A tall water tower-reservoir, about the same dull, light green-gray shade as the bridge.

An elderly man (elderly as in 80 or better) out watering his lawn with an old-fashioned hose. He does not look happy about this.

Right next door, underground sprinklers erupting with sprays of water like much smaller versions of the fountains on the strip in Las Vegas.

Home after eclectic home boasting framed stained glass in windows and the arches of breezeways. The best one is a bird of paradise bursting with oranges and reds and yellows.

A road worker waving a stop sign in full sun-protection regalia—bandana, hard hat, mirrored shades—at 9:30 in the morning.

Near the place where you could actually fall into the river there is a sign saying “Danger, keep back from edge.” Check. OK. Got it.

The most beautiful thing, too: A stately old Victorian manse, fallen into disrepair, is being renovated by someone, I imagine, who has a love for old things. Also, a whole lot of money. The home is all white wooden curlicues and sash windows and peeling lavender paint. It is up on blocks, ready for its facelift.

There is a large pink paper heart in the biggest window at the front.

And I think, we all need a little help like that, a friend or even a benefactor who will raise us up when we fall, when we creak, when we start to show cracks.

Second chances, and thirds.

Lovely.

*

If you'd like to read more of Nancy's work, check out her page on Role Reboot here

1 comment: