Wednesday, October 20, 2010

sniff

I thought it would be fun to do a display on favorite tear-jerkers. I asked some of my friends around Powell's what their favorites were--just to get a list of books--and all of the sudden I had all these great, tiny reviews, these personal accounts of relationships with books.

Here are a couple of my favorites:

Shawn D. on The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein - "I sent it to my mother last year for her birthday. When I called her a week later to see if she liked it, she broke down crying hysterically. At first I was worried that a friend of hers may have died, but through her sobs I could just barely make out, 'I loved that book sooooo much.'"

Kevin Sampsell on Happy by Alex Lemon - "Alex's struggles made me cry. Alex's mom's love made me cry. And when it was over, I thought about how grateful I am for everything and I made myself cry."

Had fun, too, with the graphic I made for the window...


I interspursed some of the little blurbs people wrote with some pulp novel images that I changed up a bit to go with the theme...




3 comments:

  1. Very, very smart! You're a very clever broad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG.. What titles!!! The Opulence of Sorrow... Mired in the Moping..!!! and my favorite part.. A shocking week in the life of a moper...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite is Mired in the Moping! Inspired me to Play--what about Weighted in the weeping or Wild about wailing or Fond of fuming or Sinking in the sniffling or ???

    ReplyDelete