Sunday, May 12, 2013

a moment in the day: september, 1985


A little memory moment for Mother's Day. This is from my diary, September, 1985. I was sixteen. Frank would have been just nine. Horatio was our dog.

Poor punctuation and overblown teenager, already-want-to-be-a-writer language intact:


I was feeling really sick Sunday night. Mom & I were watching the T.V., she on the couch, and I on the floor. “Death of a Salesman” with Dustin Hoffman which was well done but depressing as hell.

Frankie got a hug from mom because his teeth hurt, and I wanted one, too. I came crawling over to her, feeling just like Horatio. When Frankie was gone, I got a cuddle from Mom. Oh, I could just feel the mother, daughter love we had between us. I remembered that feeling from times long ago when, as a younger child I got cuddles, and the feeling brought tears to my eyes. I must have looked really funny, my legs curled on the floor, half teenager, half child. I thought for a moment about having lived with her all my life. It was one of the best feelings in the world.

2 comments:

  1. So beautiful. And now as a mom, I have seen many of those beautiful half-teenager, half-child moments, long legs and soft faces and both of us remembering that beautiful bygone baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Christi. Yes, how lucky you are to have been able to experience that kind of a moment probably from both sides.

    ReplyDelete