Saturday, December 8, 2018

books in the world


One of the benefits of social media for me is that I get to witness the life of my books in the world.

Oh, did I say my books? I mean the authors' and publishers' books, but because of the intimate relationship I have with a book whenever I'm concepting and designing a cover, they all feel like my books too.

Recently, I've been having fun watching a handful of new and emerging books make their way in the world and so I wanted to gather and show (off) a few.

The Alehouse at the End of the World by Stevan Allred (Forest Avenue Press)
Here are Stevan and author Kate Carroll de Gutes at Broadway Books in Portland for Indies First day. Kate is holding Stevan's book and Stevan is holding Kate's Objects in Mirror are Closer Than They Appear. I don't know which coupling I like better in this picture, the authors, the books, or the ties.

*

The Place You're Supposed to Laugh by Jenn Stroud Rossmann (7.13 Books)
In the middle of a busy book tour, Jenn drops off a copy of her book at a Little Free Library. Stealthy!

*

This Never Happened by Liz Scott (University of Hell Press)
This is Liz' selfie on the day she saw and held her book for the first time. She's actually the baby on the cover.

And a shot of the book out in the wider world. Though the book doesn't officially pub until next spring, pre-orders are available, and if you pre-order, U Hell will send your book out early. This is in the hand of Jackie Shannon Hollis, the author whose memoir This Particular Happiness (Forest Avenue Press) I'm working on now.

*

The Untold Gaze with art by Stephen O'Donnell and stories by many, many lovely authors
OK, I'm kind of cheating, here, because this isn't showing a book cover at all, but I worked on the interior design as well. This is on display in the Blue Room at Powell's City of Books. It's fun to see what page they have it open to on any given day. Here it's open to the story "Coast Starlight 11, Halloween" by Kevin Meyer.

*

Besotted by Melissa Duclos (7.13 Books)
Besotted is due out next year. Here is Melissa holding the ARC (advance reading copy) of her book for the first time.

And here's what she feels about that.


Here are some links if you want to find out more about these lovely books.

The Alehouse at the End of the World (currently featured in Powell's Books' holiday Great Gifts Under $25 list)

The Place You're Supposed to Laugh (Jenn's website includes a sweet homemade cover design by her daughter, too.)

This Never Happened

The Untold Gaze

Besotted

No comments:

Post a Comment