Saturday, January 9, 2021

a moment in the day: shame

I'm scrolling social media a couple days after the riot by hundreds of Trump toadies at the Capitol. People are sharing news articles and their opinions. I'm starting to see people share pictures of specific insurrectionists, along with their names.

Faces. Names. Public shaming makes me queasy. There's an associate of mine I refuse to engage with because their go-to reaction to anything they don't like is to publicly shame another person. It always feels schoolyard bully to me. A way to get to be ugly while feeling self-righteous.

Scroll, scroll. Faces, names. Pointed captions.

"This is the West Virginia Delegate who thought it would be smart to film himself during the break in."

"Gee, doesn't this guy look smart in his Davy Crockett cosplay revolutionist duds?"

Tweets and shares of videos of weepy Elizabeth from Knoxville pouting after being tear gassed trying to breach the Capitol building for her revolution.

Tweets, shares, jokes, ridicule.

Good.

I don't know, things like this make me rethink my belief system. Because sometimes. In particular circumstances.

When you're dealing with people who are incapable of feeling remorse, maybe they should at least have to feel shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment