Thursday, August 26, 2010

...

It falls fast. Always surprises you. This year, it surprises me even though Stephen said so just the other day. "Days are getting shorter," but I hadn't noticed yet. This morning the alarm went off at 5:30 and I went walking around the house in the black. Stephen hates the end of summer, but I've never minded. Usually just looked forward to the autumn leaves. The smoky smell. The California in people doesn't always affect them in the same ways. Some people who come from that kind of sun seem to need sun all the time. I don't know why, but for me it was mostly the opposite, sun, sun, sun all the time until I just wanted to live in a perpetual drizzle. But this morning at 5:30 it's dark and the end is coming and for once it hurts that it's going.

2 comments:

  1. What a perfectly-made, spare, elegant post. I'm touched by what you wrote and, at the same time, I can't help but notice how beautifully you wrote it.

    ReplyDelete